Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Little Holiday Poem

So, I don't do Halloween.

But no worries! I'm not going to open that can of worms here today.  (You can all breathe a sigh of relief!) I'm sure there are very few people that would want to read my opinions on that and even fewer who would agree with them.

But, just because  I'm feeling slightly witty today I'm going to share something I came up with a few minutes ago. This is a poem I wrote to go on our door tonight so I don't have to keep answering the door for Trick-or-Treaters.


Pumpkins are orange



Goblins are green,



We don't have any candy



And tricks are so mean!





We have fun in a different way



We celebrate Reformation Day.



The Bible put in man's native tongue,



That's what we think of while having our fun.





So on to the next house to gather your candy,



(We're sure that your costume was ever so dandy!)



Of Tyndale and Luther, we will be reading,



Sorry we can't wish you a Halloween greeting!

-Holly Homemaker


My daughter is working on illustrating it as I write. 

So, although you and I probably don't agree about this whole Halloween business, would you feel too put off by that sign if you saw it on my door? An inquiring mind wants to know! 

All I know is, that's the most poetry I've written since High School and I'm pretty pleased with myself. Hee hee hee! 

P.S.- If you don't get the reformation thing I'm talking about in the poem, here's the gist. October 31st 1517 is the day that Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the door of Castle Church in Wittenberg. That is generally considered the "spark" that lit the fire of reformation. This reformation in the churches is directly connected to the Bible being translated from Latin into the languages spoken by common people. (German, English.) That is all directly related to how we got the King James Bible as we have it today and use in our church. Definitely an important bunch of history! So, it's fun to celebrate that on Oct. 31st instead of Halloween if Halloween isn't  your thing. Make sense?

P.P.S.- Today we are reading this book for school. I found it last year at our local thrift store. I felt so blessed to find this book just when I was trying to figure out how to deviate for the traditions of Halloween! It's historical fiction about William Tyndale and it's written for children- probably 10 yrs. and up, but I'm explaining everything so my younger kids can comprehend it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512CBH05BJL.jpg 
 And tonight we are going to watch some of this movie and eat popcorn. I'm hoping it's not too scary or boring for my super sensitive kids. We'll see. I'm sure I'll find it interesting, but it may not work for the kids.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81AfdodGEFL._SL1450_.jpg

Nothing too exciting, but interesting nonetheless. And we're getting lots of history in!

10 comments:

  1. I think you opened that worm can without meaning to! However, your poem is very clever and cute. I am sure you'll have a fun evening with your family, just like I will, and that's what really matters, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'm honestly just trying to be funny here. Disarming maybe?
      Trying to say that I don't have to celebrate Halloween and it doesn't need to be a big deal to everyone else. Perhaps I failed in that. My writing skills are still severely lacking and it's difficult to explain myself in a way that creates understanding.

      It's hard to explain that I'm not doing Halloween without everyone else feeling like I'm judging them. Same goes for homeschooling. I was hoping this would come across in a way that wouldn't make anyone feel like they have to defend their celebrating Halloween. Just trying to be silly and let the world know that I see that they are having fun and we are too, just in a different way, and that's OK.

      Delete
  2. I was impressed with your poem, too. VERY creative! And I love that you are making October 31st a time to enjoy with family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your poem was very clever! Though if you leave your porch light off the kids probably won't bother you :) I hope you guys had a fun night together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem is very cute! :-)

    We do celebrate Halloween, but I wasn't put off by your message at all.

    And I love the focus on the Reformation and the sacrifices that were made to bring the Bible to the common people. We loved The Fires of Faith movie last year! I definitely want to own it, and I didn't know the DVD is now available. VERY cool! Thanks for sharing that.

    Hugs,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a cute poem and I like how you stand up for what you believe without judging others. Your poem didn't put down any others for celebrating what they do. If I saw that on your door I would just think it was cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love learning about the reformers. Fire in the Bones was one of my favorite books. Tyndale is so inspiring I think. One of my ancestors was burned at the stake in in front of his wife and 11 children for being one of the first to publish Tyndale's bible. I am humbled as I learn the sacrifices so many went through that helped pave the way for the rights we enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't celebrate halloween either..Our children are grown, but we didn't celebrate it when they were small either.. Sometimes it was difficult , as people would question "why" we didn't trick or treat.. And I cautiously explained [trying to not offend the ones who chose to].
    Now, Our neighbor hood has no small children, we built our house back off the road, so we never get trick or treaters. And I totally ignore halloween in the stores.ha

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids loved that book! I'll bet yours will love it, too. :)

    Happy Reformation Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice poem, I honestly would have been glad to see that on someone's door. I love having an opportunity to dress up and let my children dress up, but the whole trick-or-treating and spooky stuff is what I don't like. That's why we hand out pencils to our neighbor kids- they are useful and don't cause health problems.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...