Wednesday, March 26, 2014

So I'm a Little Slow with Projects

My last post showed how slow I was at getting some pictures up on the wall. This post is about yet another slow to be done project.

You see, I wanted to make each of my kids a quilt. No idea why this is so VASTLY important to me. The world isn't going to end just because I didn't make the 3 year old a quilt! Anyway, the 2 girls each had a simple tied quilt but my then 2-year-old didn't. I wanted to get it done for his 3rd birthday. Well, that came and went and it never happened. So, with his 4th birthday looming I finally, FINALLY got the blasted quilt done!

It shouldn't have been so hard. My lovely younger sister made a quilt for her little boy. I looked at it and said, "Cute! Get me the pattern, tell me what fabric to buy and I'll just make one exactly like it and not have to even think!" So, lovely sister helped me get the fabric, she gave me the pattern and instructions and off I went. Until I tried to get started and realized I'm a total spaz at making quilts. The only pieced quilt I ever made was one I blogged about here and here. Basically just an easy jean picnic quilt. No biggie. I just blind tied it to make life easy.
But my sister's quilt was hard! She cut out all these little pieces and ironed them on and stitched around them and then had to do all kinds of crazy contortions to piece it together. Check out her quilt:
 Well, after ages of not getting going on the project my sister had pity on me and cut out all the little cars and got them ironed on for me. Whew. She's the best!

I have spent the last several weeks forcing myself to finish this quilt. I have stayed up late every night listening to a chemistry course** I'm taking or TED talks and sewing my heart out. Here is the final product at last!
 It ended up very different from my sister's, but still very cute. In the end, I didn't piece it. I just bought a piece of black fabric, laid out everything, pinned it in place, and zig-zagged around the edges. Oh well! I see a real pieced quilt in my future, but right now that ain't happenin'.

I even squeezed in time for a little pillow to go with it because I had an extra piece. So cute!
The best part of all this was when I learned my sewing machine could do a blanket stitch! I would NEVER have gotten this done if I'd had to stitch around all those little pieces by hand like my sister did on hers. Thank goodness for sewing machines eh?

My machine stitching.
 My sister's hand sewing.
Whew, so glad to have that done. And it's Mr. Car Man's birthday this week so I barely made it in time!

Have you made any pieced quilts? How do you find the time?!

** The chemistry course I am taking is FREE and can be found here. It's not so much chemistry as it is learning about general food and health science. "A course that offers a scientific framework for understanding food and its impact on health and society from past to present." It's SUCH a good class. You can do as much or as little of it as you want. I mainly just listen to the videos. The professors crack me up. They talk in "professor speak" and don't even break a smile, but they are totally telling jokes. It takes you a minute to realize they were just kidding! There's even a whole section about CHOCOLATE! I have a few friends who I know would be interested in THAT!

I think one of the reasons I really like this class is that their conclusions about health and what food to eat, etc. are right in line with what I already live and believe. It all lines up quite well with the Word of Wisdom. ( :

 






4 comments:

  1. I love that quilt! What a fun keep sake for your little one, and your sister's quilt is beautiful as well. I need to make a quilt for Miles this next year or two for his bed as we move him up to a bunk bed. It always takes so much work, but I love seeing the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so impressed! I'll bet Gideon loves his new quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo cute! and thanks for the link on classes - I am excited to look through them and maybe take something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...